Two words: Turmeric Milk.
Last week, I came down with a cold. One of my friends suggested I try turmeric as a means to beat my illness. They sent me a link to Fresh Bites Daily’s recipe for Turmeric Milk.
Turmeric Milk Ingredients
2 cups of milk (or substitute coconut milk)
1 teaspoon dried turmeric (or one-half inch fresh turmeric thinly sliced or diced)
1 teaspoon dried ginger (or one-half inch fresh ginger thinly sliced or diced)
A sprinkle of black pepper
Honey to taste
Turmeric Milk Steps
- Place milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add turmeric, ginger, and pepper. Stir well if you are using the dried spices.
- Let the milk begin to simmer — small bubbles will form on the sides of the saucepan. Stir.
- Allow to heat for another minute or two being careful not to let the milk overheat. Continue to stir at this point to get better heat distribution.
- Turn off heat, cover, and allow the mixture to sit for ten minutes or so to improve the infusion.
- Strain the milk through a strainer if you have used fresh ingredients.
- Serve warm.
I used coconut milk with my concoction. Within an hour of drinking it, all the congestion started coming out of my body. Within a couple of days, I was feeling a million times better.
I have used both grated, fresh ginger and ground ginger for my milk. The benefit to using ground ginger is you don’t have to strain the milk. The benefit to using fresh ginger is obviously the benefits that come with ginger in general. The honey is not necessary, but I recently started adding it and it makes it taste a lot better.
Coconut milk: $2.88-$2.99 at HyVee
Dried turmeric $1 at Big Lots (I already had it on hand, so it didn’t actually cost me anything)
Dried ginger $1 at Big Lots or Dollar Tree or Fresh Ginger, less than $1 at the Trader Joe’s (I already had it on hand, so it didn’t actually cost me anything)
A sprinkle of black pepper (You should have this in your kitchen)
Total cost $5
[su_box title=”Stick with me and I’ll put you up on all kinds of game” box_color=”#ec5067″]
Related topics coming soon:
- Aligning your values with your spending
- Strategies to save money grocery shopping